Tuesday, November 9, 2010

This moment

Today's ponderings are about living in the moment.  I have a really deeply ingrained habit of thinking about the next thing.  You know the way some people never seem completely there when you're with them?  That's how I feel and I know I miss so much.

There is so much peace in this moment.  The now.  At this particular moment I have work piled up under my arms but as I type this thought, I am so content and not in a hurry to rush off to the next thing, like cleaning up the piles on my desk.  They will be there in 5 minutes.  Who knows, by the time I get done with this post, the phone could ring 10 times or not at all.  Either way, I am here and I am happy.

I ponder how many great moments I may have missed or prevented someone else from experiencing all because I was in a colossal rush to get to the next thing.  It makes me a little sad.  How many times could I have slowed down to show someone how valuable they are to me by giving them my full attention?  How many smiles could I have shared with my children if I wouldn't have been in such a rush to get them here or there. 

Today I am going to slow down and not rush.  My priority is people and relationships.  Yes work needs to get done and it will.  Yes laundry needs folded and dishes need to be done and they will be done.  But none of this is going to be done at the cost of those I value. 

Am I the only one who struggles with this?  It seems that the vast majority of my friends are great at doing the balancing act.  The run the kids to all their lessons and activities and volunteer and help the kiddos with their homework and have dates with their husbands and always look great and are most always on time and arrive with a smile on their face.  Do they struggle with the rush?  Do they shortcut relationships along the way?

This moment I am going to just breath and say a prayer of thanks that I have this moment and that it is good.

Have a wonderful day!

1 comment:

  1. no you are not alone. there's no one woman who doesn't struggle with keeping things in balance. you're so not alone :)

    ReplyDelete