Friday, October 15, 2010

Following directions part 2

No shopping for a season sounded pretty incredulous and overwhelming to me so I asked God for more direction.  All shopping, some shopping, or what.  I have completely refrained from going to WalMart, Target, Dollar Tree.  I have gone to Safeway and Fred Meyers for groceries only.  I haven't gone to 7-11 for the occassional soda run that was so prominent before this experiment. 
After more examination, I feel what God wanted me to do was focus on what I shop for and being a good steward of what I have, both money and stuff.  Do I need soda?  No water works just fine.  Do I need food for my family, absolutely.  Do my kids need the tons of stuff I have found that's a "great deal"?  No.  Do they need my time and attention and playfulness? Absolutely. 
I feel that this challenge is supposed to expand to eating out and fast food too but I'm not sure so I'm praying about that part.  I feel like I've cheated a little by letting Chris know what I want because I don't want to go spend the money on it.  Today I posted on Facebook that I wanted a latte and a little while later I got a phone call from my love who was outside with a latte for me.  It feels different if he pays for it instead of me, even though it all comes from the same bank account.  Is that a little weird?
Well that's about it for me for now. 
Hope you have a great day!

1 comment:

  1. just found your blog, wonderful! :) I enjoyed reading your posts. keep it up!

    ReplyDelete