Monday, January 16, 2012

Yummer nummers!!!

I LOVE granola bars.  LOVE THEM!!!  Would eat them all day long if I could.  But alas, they are pretty expensive so I am spared from being tempted.  I should mention that it isn't the Quaker granola bars that you can buy a box of 10 for $1.50 with coupons.  No, I love LARA Bars.  They are pretty pricey but so good.  And good for you.  They only have a handful of ingredients all of which I can pronounce and can pick up at the grocery store.  No specialty stores required.  LOVE that!!!

The alternate name of this post could be things I LOVE.

So, I bet you're anxious to get to the recipe I used.  So, here ya go!

1/2 cup cashews
handful of chocolate chips
1 cup dates

Line a 8x8 baking dish with plastic wrap before you start getting your hands dirty.

Put your nuts and chocolate chips in your food processor (I used my magic bullet).  Grind them up but don't make them dust.  Empty the food processor into a medium size bowl.

Don't rinse out the processor.  Put dates in and grind them up.  (Here is where I made a mistake. I used dried dates and didn't add any liquid.  Don't do that.  If you use dried dates add apple juice or water.)  Once they are ground up put them in the bowl with the ground nuts and use your hands to mix them.  If they are not sticking, add more ground date.

When everything is combined put them into the baking dish and flatten them out.  Put them in the fridge for about 10 minutes to firm them up then cut them into 3 pieces.  Store them in snack bags in the fridge.

There are so many variations you can do.  I have some powdered chocolate peanut butter that I am thinking about adding to my next batch.  I am excited to make my next batch and see what mixtures I can come up with.

Share with me your varieties.  I want to hear how you like them.

Easy squeezy!

1 comment: