Friday, July 2, 2010

Holiday weekend

This morning driving to work I was listening to the radio and they had a military officer on talking about what Independence Day means to him.  He was deployed to Afganastan a month before 9-11 and just got home last Sept.  That's 9 years away from home.  His wife was pregnant with their first child when he left.  He talked about how much he believes in what he does and when he got home he received a standing ovation from the people in the airport.  And the part that made me tear up..."It's all worth it when a child I've never met says "Thank you for what you do for me".  

What does Independence Day mean to you?  Is it a time to have fun with friends and not have to go to work?  Is it filled with tradition and food?  What does your holiday look like?

As I heard this mornings story on the radio I had to ask myself when was the last time I thanked a soldier for their service and the choices they made that brought them to that place.  It is their sacrifices and choices that allow us to celebrate Independence Day. 

This fourth of July, I will be saying extra prayers for our soldiers and will be saying the pledge of allegience more as well.  When was the last time you said it?  My 5 year old said it every time he saw a flag for months.  It was a great reminder of what we are supposed to be.  Granted every McDonald's you pass has a flag and if you have a lot of fast food restaurants in your route it could get a smidge old but it was such a great reminder.  And I love that he always ended with "And God bless our country". 

May you have a fun and safe fourth.

No comments:

Post a Comment